New and/or transferred vessels are registered with the Calhoun County Recorder. Boat fees are based on the length of the boat. All boats 17 feet or longer, and any boat that carries a lien, need to be titled. The exceptions are Canoes, Kayaks, and Inflatable vessels, regardless of length.
- Title fee without lien: $12.75
- Title fee with lien: $25.50
- Application for Boat Certificate of Title and registration
Please call our office for current boat registration fees. 712-297-8121.
- Transfer Fee: $3.75
- Duplicate Fee: $3.75
Per the Iowa Department of Revenue:
- Per section 45 of SF 413 amended Iowa Code section 423.3(39).
- Sales of boats and other watercraft in Iowa are subject to the state sales tax at least 6% plus local option taxes, if any. This applies to sales by Individuals, as well as, dealers.
- Anyone purchasing a boat from an individual should obtain a Bill of Sale that shows the cost of the boat. The buyer will then pay the sales tax on the cost of the boat to the County Recorder.
- Bring the signed registration and signed title, if there is a title issued on this boat.
- If a trailer is purchased with the boat, the motor vehicle use tax is paid to the County Treasurer.